Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Durban Botanical Garden

This weekend was able to go the Durban Botanical Gardens. Fortunately it is just a 20 min walk from the hospital. I was able to spend time sitting by a lake in the center of the gardens, just reading a book enjoying the weather. There are benches all over the park and monthly the park holds a concert. This month the concert fell on my birthday. I got to listen to the artist Johnny Clegg. Johnny Clegg is a South African icon in music. He is a singer, songwriter, dancer, anthropologist, and musical activist. He is one of the first artist in South Africa in the 1970s who played with Black African artists, which was outlawed in South Africa until the end of Apartheid. The concert was very good, although I didn't know any of the songs it was a great South African experience. 

Fortunately, to enter the Botanical Gardens it is free. Today I was able to run with my news housemate Phakamani there to show him the gardens. Throughout the year the garden has different exhibits showing. Due to the subtropical climate the many plants that the garden has are in bloom year around. One of the exhibits is of orchids, which just so happen to be my favorite type of flowers. Unfortunately it is not the best season for orchids, apparently spring is the best (its entering winter right now). It also has an herb garden, a senses garden (so you can experience plants through all your different senses), and tea garden. I didn't know this before going to the garden, but it also houses a Cycad (Encephalartos woodii). Try and say that five times fast. Which is acknowledged as being one of the rarest plants in the world. 

I am hoping within the next few months to post more pictures, now that I have figured out a better internet source. 

Orchids in the Orchid House

View from the bench sitting at the lake

No comments:

Post a Comment